tide [-s -'s] n
OE tid, time.
- Sea; ocean waves; large expanse of salt water on the surface of planet Earth.
- Surge; billow; wave; waterfront; edge of the water; place where water meets land; [fig.] flood; flow of life-sustaining influences; place where heaven meets earth.
- Hour; time; twelve-hour period; [fig.] final out-pouring of light; atmospheric conditions at sunset; sunset display of colors and forms.
- Stream; current; [fig.] spiritual influence; pull of death into the next life.
- Ebb and flow; flux and reflux; twice daily lunar pull on terrestrial bodies of water; regular back and forth gravitational pull on a body of water.