Eden ['ll, 's] proper n
Heb. 'pleasure, delight' < Sumerian edin, plain.
- The Tropics; heaven on earth; tropical paradise; promised land; place full of flowers, sunshine, and birds; [synonym] Brazil.
- Spring; summer; season of new life; beauties of nature; time of growth and verdure; [fig.] pleasure; delight; ecstasy; innocent enjoyment; state of bliss.
- Heaven; eternity; immortality; mansion on high; paradisiacal glory; kingdom of God; dwelling place in the presence of the Lord.
- Harbor; cove; inlet; [fig.] haven; security; calm; shelter; safe place; back water bay; place free of danger and evil; [historical] East Eden, Maine; port where Samuel Bowles learned to row.
- After-life; spirit world; Elysium; life after death and before the resurrection; resting place of the dead before the final judgment.
- Biblical garden; primordial state; cradle of civilization; birthplace of mankind; abode of our first parents; sinless state of the world before Adam and Eve's fall and expulsion; paradise lost [see Genesis 2:8 and ED letters]; [fig.] heaven; supernal bliss.
- Now; today; mortality; time of temptation; this life; present time; [historical] Amherst, Massachusetts; home of the Dickinson family.