Fr. < L. bassus, thick, fat, short, low.
- Humble; meek; long-suffering; lowly in spirit; willing to sacrifice high position; (see 1 Corinthians 1:28).
- Pitiful; pathetic; dishonorable; ashamed; contemptible; damned; mean; wretched; (see Isaiah 3:5).
- Lowest; least; lesser.
base [-s] n
Fr. < L. < Gk. 'that on which one steps or stands'.
- Bottom; foot; lower part; roots and trunk; [fig.] the horizon.
- Foundation; footing; cornerstone; groundwork; substructure; stable support; secure platform for building; [fig.] grave; tomb; funeral vault; [fig.] axiom; creed; doctrine; law; principle.
- Cover; film; layer.
- End; conclusion; finale; [fig.] final show of color; warm spell in autumn; Indian summer.