battle [-s, -'s] n
OFr < L.
- Dispute; fight; strife; encounter between enemies; contention between two or more parties.
- Military conflict; confrontation in war; direct combat between armies; (see 2 Samuel 19:10).
- Inner struggle; mental strain.
- Life-threatening experience; encounter with death.
- Phrase [see Burgoyne, proper n.] “Battle of Burgoyne”: bloody skirmish in the U.S. War of Independence; conflict named for the British general John Burgoyne; [fig.] colorful sundown; red sky at dusk.