beauty [-'s] n
ME < OFr < L.
- Fairness; comeliness; intrinsic grace; excellence in form, appearance, aspect, etc.
- Attractiveness; charm; allure; physical appeal; quality that gladdens the senses; assemblage of delightful qualities; pleasing symmetry of form, feature, and proportion; (see Proverbs 31:30).
- Perfection; flawlessness; moral excellence; superior goodness; (see Exodus 28:2).
- Transcendence; sublimity; unspeakable loveliness; the ineffable; (see 1 Chronicles 16:29).
- Coquette; flirt; pretty one; attractive maiden; [fig.] blossom; flower.
- Nature; creation; divine order; (see Psalm 27:4).
- Phrase. “For Beauty”: for the sake of aesthetic idealism; in accordance with ideals of classical elegance; [allusion to Keats's poem “Ode on a Grecian Urn”.]