see berry, n.
- Plump; red; sweet; succulent; [fig.] childish; youthful.
berry [-'s, berries] n
OE < ON 'grape'.
- Small, globular, juicy fruit; sweet, succulent fruit with seeds.
- Grape; fruit for making wine; [word play on “barrel”] cask; large vat.
- Delicacy; dainty; tidbit; [fig.] forbidden fruit.
- Gift; nourishment; [fig.] sacrifice; sacrament; life-giving food.
- Olive; small, pulpy fruit with a stone; (see Isaiah 17:6).
- Gems; precious stones; [fig.] wealth; riches; [possible word play on “beryl”.]
- Sweet morsel; bit of food.
- Phrase. “Black Berry”: blackberry; edible wild currant; dark fruit of the bramble; [fig.] Christ; the crucified Savior.