bloom [-s] n
ME < ON blóm, flower, blossom, and blómi, bloom, prosperity.
- Spring; season of growth; time of renewal; [fig.] resurrection; restoration; hope of eternal life.
- Poem; verse; lyric.
- Pastoral beauty; natural splendor; [fig.] April; springtime.
- Blossom; expanded flower; colored portion of a plant consisting of stamens, pistils, corolla, and calyx; culminating beauty of a plant before going to fruit.
- Blossoming; state of growth; development of a plant; [fig.] life; vitality; vigor; strength.
bloom [-ed, -ing] v
ME blomen; see bloom, n.
- Grow; prosper; burgeon; expand; come into full beauty; [fig.] resurrect; return from death to life.
- Flourish; thrive; blossom; produce flowers; [fig.] live; (see Numbers 17:8).
- Emerge; come out of a cocoon; [fig.] resurrect.