blue [-st] adj
ME blew > OFr bleu.
- Soothing; safe; comforting; familiar.
- Constant; unchanging; consistent; unvarying; eternal.
- Sad; low; gloomy; depressing; downcast; miserable.
- Pale; thin; weak; tentative; hesitant; wavering.
- Waterlogged; [fig.] choking; suffocating.
- Heavenly; celestial; moonlit; related to the atmosphere.
- Aqua; color of frozen water; [fig.] cold; chilly; frost-bitten; without circulation of blood; lifeless; spiritless; almost dead.
- Deep; vast; extensive; ample; oceanic; marine; related to the sea.
- Azure; celeste; cerulean; of the tint of the sky; of the hue of the sea; having one of the seven colors of the spectrum into which light divides.
- Phrase. “Blue Bird”: [see bluebird, n.]
see blue, adj.
- Hue of the sea; one of the seven spectrum colors that light produces through a prism.
- Color of Union Army uniform in the Civil War; [fig.] celeste; one of the sunset colors.
- Sky; atmosphere; firmament; heavenly color.