bow [-s] n
OE 'bow, bend'; note that the /bau/ and /bo:/ forms come from the same etymology.
- /bo:/; Violin rod; flexible appliance for making music sound from strings; [fig.] brain; mind; reason; sanity; will; control; volition; inclination; organ of intelligence; capacity for language.
- /bau/; Polite gesture; salutation by bending; courteous body language; token of respect by lowering the head; motion of reverence by inclining the upper torso downward.
- /bau/ and /bo:/; Descent; lowering; downward motion; [fig.] condescension; inclination; [sound play and sense play] arch; prism; rainbow; refraction of light; (see Genesis 9:13).
- /bo:/; Weapon; archer's instrument; curved wooden frame for shooting arrows; (see Genesis 27:3); [fig.] charm; spell; trance; enamoring; infatuation; enchantment.
bow [-ed, -ing] v
see bow, n.; /bau/ pronunciation.
- Move; bend; [fig.] live; revive.
- Bend; descend; tilt; curve down the horizon [fig.] set; go down.
- Curtsy; nod; acknowledge courteously; [fig.] sway; move in the wind.
- Introduce; welcome; invite; receive.
- Pray; worship; give praise; do homage; (see Psalms 95:6).
- Wave; undulate; ebb; go out.
- Acknowledge applause; respond to an audience's ovation; do reverence, as in ballet.