butterfly [-'s, butterflies] n
compound of OE 'fatty substance obtained from cream by churning' + OE 'winged insect'; see fly, n.
- Imago; insect that has completed all stages of metamorphosis; [fig.] transformed creature; transfigured being; resurrected person.
- Papilio; insect of the Lepidoptera order; slender-bodied insect with two pairs of broad beautiful colored wings; larvae that emerges from a cocoon as a delicate flying creature with knobbed antennae.
- Golden clouds; glorious colors; bright lights moving on the horizon at dusk.
- Larger insect; mid-sized flying entity.
- Angelic creature; heavenly messenger; celestial courier.