- Partially; half; a little; in some degree; to some extent.
part [-s] n
see part, adv.
- Portion; fraction; component; piece of the whole.
- Role; participation; share.
- Group; number of persons; subset of all people.
- Step; maneuver; dance movement.
- Quality; attribute; characteristic; trait.
- Inadequate substitute; poor imitation; [fig.] human companionship as compared with the presence of God; mortal existence in relationship to immortality.
part [-ed, -ing, -s] v
- Separate; divide; split up.
- Open; sunder; spread apart.
- Take leave of each other; depart each other's company; bid farewell.
- Scatter apart; fly in opposite directions.
- Keep apart; isolate from each other.
- Release; relax; loosen; let go.
- Phrase. “Part company”: take leave of each other; bid farewell.
- Phrase. “Part rank”: disperse; fall out of regular formation.