pause [-s] n
Fr. < L. pausa, halt, stop < Gk παὐ-ειυ, to stop.
- Holiday; brief resting period; temporary enjoyment; cessation of labor.
- Cessation; interval of silence; musical rest.
- Setback; temporary obstacle to progress; [fig.] disappointment; difficulty; trial.
- [Fig.] decline; decay; degeneration; deterioration; cessation of progress.
- [Fig.] nothingness; void; vacuity; empty space.
- [Fig.] death; lack of life; loss of ability to progress.
- [Fig.] stopping place; area for resting.
pause [-d, pausing] v
see pause, n.
- Stop briefly; cease motion for a short period of time.
- Rest briefly from strenuous or difficult labor; stop to catch breath.
- Fall silent for a brief space of time.
- Slow down; be suspended.
- Visit; stop in; drop by for a short duration of time.
- [Fig.] take time to pay respects; stop in order to honor.
- [Fig.] find final rest; come to the end of a journey.
- [Fig.] reach a peak; come to a climax.