peninsula [-s] n
L. pæne-, almost + insula, island.
- Island; dry land nearly surrounded by water.
- Land; place; location.
- [Fig.] solid earth; firm ground; sure footing.
- [Fig.] safe haven; getaway; place of escape; distant location; place perceived to be cut off from what was previously known or experienced.
- [Fig.] upper branch; high dwelling place in a tree; lofty arboreal region attached to the tree trunk by a narrow branch and surrounded by air.
- [Fig.] great expanse of land; long distance; large obstacle.
- Promised land; [fig.] desired reward.