ME < AFr < Late L. potēre, to be able.
- Ability; capacity; capability; skill; aptitude.
- Strength; might; stamina; endurance; fortitude; [fig.] will; courage; heart; spirit; determination.
- Influence; ability to affect; capacity to impact.
- Force; violence; aggression.
- Fuel; energy source.
- Life force; potential to live, die, and resurrect from the dead.
- [Fig.] God; omnipotent being; supremely divine entity.
- [Fig.] Satan; tempter; deceiver; temptation; enticement.
- [Fig.] means; way; method; process.