escape ['scape] n
see escape, v.
- Flight; [fig.] liberation; release from bondage; [the quoted form of the word may refer to the imperative form of the verb, meaning “Flee!”].
- Deliverance; respite; rescue; relief; release; [fig.] salvation; redemption.
- Departure; passage; disappearance; going away; [fig.] death; termination.
- Freedom; [fig.] play; recreation; diversion; pleasure; [metaphor] joy; delight; exhilaration.
- Avoidance; evasion.
- Adventure; escapade; risky situation; close call; near miss.
escape [-s, -ed, -ing, 'scaping] v
ME < L. ex, out & cappa, cloth.
- Retreat; move away.
- Fly; take flight; [fig.] collide; [word play on “scraping”] crash.
- Abandon; flee; break free; [fig.] die; expire.
- Evade; elude; avoid.
- Leave; depart; pass away.