liberty (-__b__'__/b__s), n
Fr. liberté < L. līber, free.
- Immortality; eternity; freedom from sin and death.
- Freedom from restraint; state of exemption from control; [fig.] freedom from spiritual bondage.
- Sovereignty; independence; political freedom; national security; [fig.] emancipation; abolition of slavery.
- Choice; option; possibility.
- Liberation; release from prison.
- Autonomy; self-reliance; ability to move at will.
- Phrase: “At liberty”: free; in a position to escape; able to move with restraint.