long [-est] adj
OE lang; NW says the Gothic word lages seems to connect this word with lag, in the sense of drawing out, whence delaying.
- Extended with reference to spacial measurement; opposed to short.
- Extended to any certain measure expressed.
- Extended too long; tedious.
- Having a great extent in duration.
long [-er] adv
see long, adj.
- Much; well; a lot.
- Great amount of time.
- Phrase: “So long”: good bye, farewell.
long [-ed] v
OE langian, see long; adj.
- Wish earnestly; desire intensely; want eagerly.