did [didn't, did'nt, didst, did'st] v
preterite form; see do, v.
- [Tag verb with ellipsis referring back to a main verb form; “did” = “did sing” or “sang”.]
- [Lexical verb with noun object] made; caused; created; brought about.
- [Auxiliary verb form for negation of the main verb.]
- [Interrogative marker for yes/no questions; “Did you ever stand” = “stood you ever”.]
- [Lexical verb] accomplish; fulfil; complete.
- [Periphrastic preterite auxiliary providing an unaccented syllable for metrical verse; “did drop” = “dropped”.]