disc [-s, disk] n
L. < Gk δίσκος, quoit, disk, dish.
- Field; realm; domain; surface; arena; sphere; bowl; basin; [metaphor] blanket; covering; [fig.] flake; hexahedron; six-point star.
- Face; countenance; visage; [fig.] headstone; tomb monument; grave marker.
- Oval; ellipse; globe; orb; world; circular appearance of the sun; round breadth of a heavenly body.
- Circuit; orbit; circular course; compass curve; [fig.] wheel; vehicle; path traveled by an object in a higher realm in Ptolemaic and early-Christian astronomy.
- Cycle; circumference; life span; [fig.] infinity; eternity; measurelessness; eternal round.
- Circle; ring shape; hoop-like form; seemingly flat round surface; [fig.] dome; firmament; vault of heaven.
- Shield; buckler; metal screen; circular combat instrument with insignia; [fig.] protection; security; indemnity; defense; explanation; alibi; vindication; refutation; excuse; justification.