see knock, v.
- Sign of arrival; signal of desire for entry.
- Rap; tap at the entrance; light strike with the hand; signal to request admittance.
- Sign; token of initiation; [fig.] prayer; respectful petition; preparation for entrance into the Holy Place; (see Matthew 7:7-8).
knock [-ed, -ing, -s] v
- Alarm; get attention; [fig.] awaken with first light.
- Tap repeatedly; show a desire to enter; [fig.] pray; respectfully petition; prepare for entrance into the presence of God; (see Matthew 7:7).
- Pound; signal arrival at a door; [fig.] throb; beat faster; arrive with quickened pulse.
- Nudge; prod; hint; prompt; [fig.] happen; occur; appear.
- Rap with the fist; strike rhythmically with the knuckles of the hand; [fig.] request; draw attention; give a polite signal; make one's presence known.
- Desire; seek; ask; [fig.] believe; have faith; (see Matthew 7:8).
- Make noise; produce a rhythmic sound; [fig.] distract; interrupt; deflect attention away momentarily.