check [-s] n
- Train ticket; transportation voucher; receipt that verifies payment; small piece of paper that documents the destination and distance that a passenger may travel; [fig.] passenger list; verification that a person is on board a vehicle; [metaphor] evidence; witness; proof; sacred testimony; scriptural documentation.
- Bill; banknote; money order; paper collateral; financial voucher.
- Curb; restrain; hold back; stop movement of.
- Silence; mute; hush; dampen; interrupt; make quiet.
- Phrase. “Check on”: delay; detain; postpone; cause to wait; put a hold on; slow the course of.