see advance, v.
- Stride; march; step; forward movement; [fig.] life.
- Profit; rise in value; gain in money.
- Progress; improvement; progression; success; attainment; development; movement to a superior position; [fig.] future; hereafter.
- Phrase. “In advance”: ahead in time; into the future.
advance [-d, -s] v
OFr avance-r, move forward < L. ab- off, away + ante, before.
- Continue; endure; persevere; succeed.
- Proceed; progress in space; move forward in time.
- Come forward; move towards; draw near.
- Approach; [word play] supply funds; furnish on credit; pay for something.
- Phrase. “Advancing on”: approaching; confronting; catching up with.