air [-s] n
OFr air < L. < Gk 'to breathe', 'blow'; NW gives a related Semitic root meaning “to shine.”
- Liberty; freedom.
- Sky; space above the earth and sea.
- Ambience; season; weather period; time of year; atmosphere of a certain place or time.
- Void; empty space.
- Attitude; appearance; assumed social position.
- Heavens; home on high.
- Oxygen; life-giving substance that humans and animals breath.
- Wind; breeze; clouds; atmospheric currents.
- Medium that transports intangible elements; [fig.] feelings; ideas.
- Medium that transports sound; atmosphere as a vehicle for sound waves.
- Atmosphere; one of the four basic elements; invisible, odorless, colorless substance which surrounds the earth.
- Phrase. “In the air”: potential; hypothetical; imaginary.