OFr anguisse, the painful sensation of choking < L. angustia, straitness, tightness < ang(u)-ěre, to strangle.
- Expiration; cessation of breathing.
- Hurt; pain; severe discomfort from a wound; [fig.] torment; torture.
- Grief; tribulation; distress; extreme suffering of body or mind; keen distress from sorrow, remorse, despair, or similar emotion.
- Spiritual death; fall into mortality; separation from the presence of God; consequences of Adam and Eve's transgression in the Garden of Eden (see Jeremiah 4:31).
- Extreme ecstasy; powerful transport; passionate feeling; painfully intense emotion.