arise [arose] v
Germanic a, up, out, away + rise, ascend.
- Activate; become animated; come to life.
- Swell up; surge; begin to grow; start to intensify.
- Occur; ensue; develop; unfold; transpire.
- Appear to go up, as the sun at dawn; move forward and upward from dawn to noon; [fig.] build up to a climax, as in a drama.
- Depart from rest; begin to act; [word play] go up; fly upward.
- Begin to sound; become audible; start up; issue forth.
- Ascend; emanate; emerge; materialize; move to a higher place, like vapors.
- [Personification] get worn as a scarf; be placed upon the head.