atom [-s, -'s] n
Fr. < L. < Gk α, not + Τεμνω, to cut; 'indivisible'; 'twinkling of an eye'.
- Element; physical material; particle of the decomposing human body; [fig.] decay; mortality.
- Fragment; bit; very small piece; minute part of a whole.
- First principle of matter; individual in a physical, tangible, material state; [word play] Adam; man; first human being according to the Bible.
- Physical component; sub-molecular unit; indivisible body; extremely small part of a molecule; particle having a nucleus, electron valences, and little weight.
- Mote; scent; odor; smell; sense; element existing in the air; [fig.] feeling; mood.