queen [-s, -'s] n
OE cwén, woman < OGerm. *kwæni-z.
- Female monarch.
- Victoria of England (1819-1901); nineteenth-century ruler of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Conqueror; victorious survivor; one who has overcome intense suffering; [fig.] expert; authority.
- Empress; female sovereign; royal lady; woman of highest rank.
- Chief female apis in a hive; sovereign of a swarm of bees.
- Bride; [fig.] woman who has been washed, anointed, invested, adorned, and crowned in preparation to be the legal consort of a king.
- Princess; pampered female child; little girl who is constantly attended.
- Royalty; [fig.] imaginative little girls; children pretending to be women in a game of make-believe; [metaphor] poet; seer; visionary.
- Woman; lady; wife.