independent [independant] adj
see dependent, adj.
- Different; distinct; separate from the normal; [fig.] utter; sovereign; deathly.
- Free; natural; spontaneous; self-sufficient; self-governing; not self-conscious; not calling attention to itself; [fig.] heedless; indifferent; disinterested; detached.
- Unbound; fiscally sound; out of debt; not financially obligated; free from poverty; not subject to external controls; [fig.] rich; wealthy.
- Rare; unusual; extraordinary; not common.
independent [independant] adv
see independent, adj.
- Autonomously; without visible support; without obvious connection; [fig.] by means of gravity.