industry [industries] n
Fr. < L. 'diligence'.
- Activity; action; work; [fig.] purpose; aim; reason for living.
- Labor; farm chores; field work; [fig.] sweat; perspiration; work clothes.
- Growth; development; steady productivity; [fig.] blossoming; photosynthesis; [metaphor] vitality; life force.
- Task; toil; drudgery; travail; housework; [fig.] duty; responsibility; service; undertaking.
- Enterprise; endeavor.
- Habitual business; daily employment; weekday attention to work (perhaps in contrast to rest on the Sabbath Day).
- Business; manufacturing; cooperative work; collective labor; [fig.] effort; exertion; diligence.
- Craft; handiwork; [fig.] artistry; painting; fine art; [metaphor] change of season; natural process that colors the autumn leaves.