sail [-s] n
OE segel, poss. 'hold, have, conquer'.
- Spread of canvas; heavy fabric sewed to the masts to catch the wind by which a ship is driven.
- Voyager; vessel; traveler.
- Ship; vessel made to travel on water.
sail [-ed, -ing, a sailing] v
see sail, n.
- Travel on water; move in a vessel propelled by wind upon sails; navigate a boat in a specified direction; [fig.] sojourn; make a journey; travel homeward; [metaphor] live; explore.
- Depart; start on a voyage; to leave the port or the place of anchorage.
- Fly; float; hover.