sentence [-s] n
Fr. < L. 'feel, have an opinion'.
- Structure; construction; language sequence; [fig.] line; branch; shoot; leaf.
- Penalty; conviction under the law; prescribed punishment, given by one in authority.
- Main clause statement; independent syntactic unit; message comprised of a subject and a predicate; [Webster 1844] “a number of words containing complete sense or a sentiment followed by a full pause.”
- Set of words; [metonymy] text; discourse; writing.
sentence [-d] v
see sentence, n.
- Punish; condemn; convict.