service [-s] n
OFr < L servitium, slave.
- Worship meeting; church liturgy; religious ceremony with music and the spoken word.
- Funeral rites; eulogy ritual; observance of the dead with music and remarks of praise; [fig.] profession of respect, honor, allegiance, or veneration.
- Purpose; function; use.
- Duty; fee; something owed to a lord by his tenant.
- Effort of body; exertion of mind; work to be done; labor to be performed for the benefit of another.
- Assistance; aid; benefit.
- Table setting; set of dishes and other utensils used together for dining.