she ['d, 's] pron
prob. OE séo; perhaps < Heb.; third person singular feminine nominative referent; see also her, her's, and herself.
- [With adjectival prepositional phrase] Emily.
- [Used to represent neuter things, such as a boat, ship, etc.] it.
- [Represents a flower that is not named in the text] it.
- [Refers to a butterfly] it.
- [Refers to a bird] it.
- [Used to represent and personify a season of the year, such as spring or summer] it.
- [Used to represent and personify abstractions, such as the soul, conscience, time, fate, and hope] it.
- [Used to represent plant life as a female human being] it.
- [Refers to a cat or leopard] it.
- [Used to name a female persona that has no antecedent in the text] it.
- [Used to represent and personify natural objects or natural phenomena, such as dawn, morning, rainbow, and moon] it.
- [Refers to the female being mentioned in the text] the girl; the young woman.
- [Refers to the speaker of the poem] Emily Dickinson.
- [Used to represent Nature which is personified as a female being] it.