OE 'old, extensive'.
- Margin; edge; verge; border; the exterior of anything considered in length.
- The part of an animal between the back and the face and belly; the part on which the ribs are situated.
- The space immediately beside or in close proximity to someone.
- One or other direction to either hand of an object, space, or imaginary line; the position, space, or area implied in this.
- Any part being in opposition or contradistinction to another.
- One part of a think; its superficies.
- An aspect or part of something.
- A position viewed as contrasted with another; viewpoint.
- Any part considered in respect to its direction or point of compass; any direction.
- Party; faction; sect; any man or body of men considered as in opposition to another.
- The slope, declivity, or ascent, as of a hill or mountain.
- The right or left lateral part of the trunk of the body.
- Phrase. “This side”: short of; not beyond.
- Phrase. “Side by side”: beside one another.