sign [-s] n
Fr. < L. 'mark, token'.
- Token; omen; indication of the approach of something.
- Representation; visible mark.
- Seal; stamp; certification; mark of attestation; written closure message upon a document.
- Mark; device having some special meaning.
- Placard; advertisement; board at a shop door showing the tenant's occupation.
- Signal; report; message.
- Motion; action; gesture indicating some idea, wish, or command.
- Phrase. “Crucifixal sign”: gesture of reverence in the shape of the cross; cross-like hand motions made by members of the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church.
sign [-ed] v
see sign, n.
- Inscribe; affirm an agreement; give a signature to; write one's name underneath the body of a contract; confirm a declaration, promise, covenant, or grant.
- Assign; allocate; give away by signature on a legal document.
- Signal; lead; point the direction for.
- Make a meaningful gesture; communicate without using words.