sing [-eth, -ing, -s, sang, sung] v
- Of birds, crickets: to produce tuneful, musical sounds.
- To make known by singing; announce.
- [Fig.] as an extension of the bird metaphor in the poem: to speak or act; to have general ways.
- Of people: to utter musical sounds.
- To compose poetry.
- Both D. and E. meanings are possible.
- Of inanimate things: to give out a sound having the quality of a musical note.
- [Fig.] communicate solemnly through sounds having musical quality.
- Wish strongly, by singing hymns, to achieve immortality.