OFr < L. 'one, individual, separate'.
- Isolated; separate; [fig.] celibate; unwed; not married; without a mate; having no lifelong companion.
- Unique; special; specific; outstanding; singular; one of a kind; consisting of one only.
- One of many; separated from others; distinct from the rest.
- Solitary; standing alone; [fig.] lonely.
- Identical; inseparable; one and the same.
- Orphaned; abandoned; neglected; left alone.
- Simple; sole; basic; uncomplicated.
- Pure; clear; elegant; refined; superior; [fig.] extraordinary.
- Individual; solo; without harmony; having one voice part; separate from the whole choir; (word play on “sing”) singing; musical; birdsong; [fig.] poetical; lyrical.
see single, adj.
- Only one; one of a kind; [fig.] soul-mate; loyal friend; faithful companion.