sleep [-ing] n
see sleep, v.
- Slumber; rest; closing of one's eyes to allow the body to achieve a relaxed state of mind.
- Unconsciousness; absence of noise; quiet state of being; inactive frame of mind; lack of physical movement; [fig.] a mortal being; a slumbering person.
- To be dead; to rest in the grave.
- Sluggishness; state of suspended animation.
- Bedtime; [fig.] darkness; nighttime.
- Natural unconscious state; temporary suspension of the nervous system; time of recuperation when muscles relax but respiration and blood circulation continue.
- Coma; repose; [fig.] process of death.
sleep [-s, -ing, slept] v
- Rest; lie down; [fig.] remain dead.
- Turn dormant.