step [-s] n
see step, v.
- Stair; threshold; stairway; door stoop; entrance platform.
- Short distance.
- Footfall; noise of walking.
- Act of locomotion; increment of walking.
- Section; part of the journey; unit of distance; [fig.] moment; unit of time.
- Path; route; [fig.] example; way of daily life.
- Stride; [fig.] movement; motion; course; flowing; stream of air.
- Progress; march; trudging; plodding; effort to climb upward.
- Footprint; [fig.] sign of a presence; mark that someone is near.
step [-s, stepped, stepping, stept] v
- Walk; move by foot.
- March; stride.
- Proceed; go forth; move on; continue forward.
- Pace; move back and forth; [fig.] access the past and present.
- Alight; climb down; [fig.] shine; glow incrementally.
- Tread; stand momentarily; put feet down.
- Dance; caper; frolic; gambol.
- Plod; trudge; [fig.] crawl; creep.
- Move; overflow; overrun.
- Phrase. “step aside”: walk away; move out of view.