sun [-s, -'s] n
- Central globe in the solar system; [personification] male god of light.
- Large helium star that the Earth rotates around.
- Solar disk; [personification] Helios; dominant entity that travels across the sky in a set course each day.
- Source of warmth and light.
- Day; daytime; period during which light is present.
- Lamp; luminary; light of the world; [word play on “Son”] Savior; Redeemer; Jesus Christ, who resurrects the dead; Son of God; one who rescues mortals from death and sin.
- Far away celestial orb; [fig.] highest glory; most desired outcome.
- Yellow color; golden light.
- Dawn; daybreak; orient; morning; eastern direction.
- Solar fireball; [fig.] glory; divinity.
- Brightest of the heavenly bodies; object in the universe that supplies light and heat by its radiation.
- Major light source.
- Sunlight; direct rays of daylight.
- Deity; major god; object of worship; personified regal omnipotent male being.
- New day; [fig.] resurrection day; restoration of joy; reunion with deceased loved ones.
- Source of inspiration; visual cause of intellectual illumination.
- Daylight; [personification] Lord; Father in Heaven; [fig.] love of God (see Matthew 5:45).
- Summer; growing season; harvest time.
see sun, n.
- Bask; heat up; get warm; soak up rays of light.