see surprise, v.
- Emotion of excitement caused by something sudden or unexpected.
- Confusion; bewilderment; disbelief; astonishment.
- Unexpected answer, result, or consequence.
- Something kept secret as to be revealed unexpectedly, such as the delivery of a gift.
- Phrase. “Take by surprise”: catch off guard.
surprise [-d] v
AFr < L. 'overtake'.
- Strike with astonishment; cause one to wonder; do something that causes something unexpected.
- Confuse; bewilder.
- Arouse; startle; frighten; come upon unexpectedly.
- Disappoint; be less than what one hopes for.