toil [-s] n
AFr dispute, contention, forensic strife.
- Labor; effort; [fig.] mortality; earthly cares; this life's troubles, tests, worries, etc.
- Work; function; operation; routine.
- Task; job; chore; duty.
- Business; occupation; career.
- Drudgery; a grind; hard work.
- Exertion; sweat; travail.
- Profession; [fig.] opera.
toil [-ed, -ing] v
AFr to strive, dispute, wrangle.
- Phrase. “toiling at”; working on; [fig.] warming; heating up; shining upon.
- Phrase. “toil for”: work towards; labor for the cause of; [fig.] profess; defend; speak up about.