tree [-s] n
- Large perennial plant having a self-supporting woody main stem or trunk; plant which develops woody branches at some distance from the ground; plant that grows to a considerable height and size; plant distinguished from a bush or shrub by size and manner of growth; [allusion to the “Tree of Love”]:
- Fruit-producing plant, cultivated in gardens and orchards.
- Coniferous plant; cone-bearing plant useful for timber or fuel; evergreen used as a Christmas symbol.
- Perch; nest; [fig.] planet Earth as seen from heaven.
- Deterrent; hindrance; stumbling block.
- Heaven; something out of reach.
- Crucifix; cross on which Christ was crucified (see Acts 10:39).
- Something resembling a tree; diagram that has a stem and branches for genealogical information.
- Bay; [fig.] gravesite of a hero.