tune [-s] n
OFr ton, < L. tonus, stretching quality of sound, tone in painting; see tone, n.
- Line; strain; musical message; [fig.] style; kind of expression; way of communicating; manner of being.
- Murmur; babble; sound of water.
- Melody; series of musical notes; non-verbal part of a song; series of notes for voice or instrument.
- Harmony; union of two parts of a song.
- Canticle; hymn; song of praise; prayer set to music; [fig.] poem; lyric verse.
- Birdsong; music of nature.
- Sound; rustle; pleasant noise; [fig.] zephyr; musical sound; [word play] air, as breeze or current; air, as, piece of music.
- Buzz; insect noise.
- Song; ballad.
- Celebration; musical expression.
- Pulse; rhythmic sound; martial music; pattern of beats.
- Dirge; sound of lamentation.
- Rumble; ominous sound.
- Literary talent; poetic gift.
tune [tuning] v
see tune, n.
- Sharpen; prepare for performance.