bank [-s] n
ME < Germanic 'shelf, bench'; see bench, n.
- Shore; coast; strand; rise of ground; elevation of earth on the side of a body of water.
- Heap; accumulation; gathering; cumulus cloud; long nimbus mass on the horizon.
- Treasury; money depository; place where funds are kept safe; [fig.] flower bed; garden plot.
- Pile; support; burial cushion; casket pillow; swath of material surrounding a corpse.
- Platform; mound; terrace.
- Channel; river passage; steep ridge of earth at the water's edge; [fig.] vessel; artery; [fig.] boundary; border; margin; limit.