bar [-s] n
ME < OFr < L.
- Railing; gate piece; horizontal fence post; [fig.] horizon; point between this life and the next.
- Cube; ingot; block of precious metal.
- Tribunal; court enclosure; place of justice; partition that surrounds court officials; [fig.] altar of judgment before God.
- Barrier; obstacle; obstruction; restraint; metal prison grid; material that guards; long piece of thin metal or wood; [fig.] inhibition; responsibility; commitment; thing that holds back.
- Beach; strand; bank of sand; silt that obstructs navigation through water.
- Protection; guarding element; [fig.] branch; twig; foliage; leafage.
- Disc; planetary ring; circular orbiting stripe.
- Tavern; pub; club; place to buy alcoholic beverages; place where one goes to drown his sorrows; [fig.] inner privacy; mental state of an individual.
bar [barred] v
see bar, n.
- Fasten; shut; secure; bolt; lock; cover with protective material.