ME > Fr. bloc.
- Neighborhood; immediate environs; portion of a road between intersections; [fig.] doorstop.
- Stone; cube; solid mass; material from which something is constructed.
- Guillotine; piece of wood for execution by beheading; [fig.] punishment; retribution for criminal activity.
block [-ed, -s] v
- Obscure; cover; eclipse; screen; blur; shadow.
- Obstruct; impede; hinder passage; put a barrier in front of; create an obstacle for.
- Phrase. “Block it up”: clog; close; dam; plug; shut.