see giant, n.
- Great; enormous; [fig.] highly significant.
- Huge; very large; extraordinary in size; [transferred modifier = “one giant drop of rain.”]
- Phrase. “Giant long”: of great length; as long as that of a giant; [adverbial; compare Sw. jätte as an intensifier] gigantically long.
giant [-s] n
ME < OFr < L.
- Titan; colossus; god-like person; mythical being who is large in stature.
- Behemoth; monster; ogre; [fig.] large obstacle; overwhelming difficulty.
- Superior being; dominant power; one who makes the rules.
- Hero; champion; superman; better self; strong one.