have [had, had'nt, had'st, hadst, has, has'nt, hast, hath, hav'nt] v
OE habban; lexical or principal verb.
- Eat; drink; imbibe.
- Be subject to; be subservient to; be subordinate to; [fig.] adore; honor; attend to; listen to.
- Receive; experience; encounter; find.
- Know; comprehend; understand; be an expert in.
- Possess; own as property; keep at hand.
- Display; show as an identifying quality; exhibit as a figurative feature.
- Retain as a component; include as a constituent part.
- Need; want; be obligated; sense a duty; feel a necessity.
- Bear; carry; bring; provide.
- Participate in.
- Hold in the hand; be equipped with.
- Gain; obtain; procure; receive into possession.
- Entertain; maintain; keep in the mind.
- Win; pass; gain superiority over.
- Experience; portray; be affected with.
- Be related to; find meaning in; be willing to live for.
- Phrase. “have done”: cease; desist; make an end.
- Phrase. “had rather”: definitely prefer; really wish to.
- Phrase. “have on”: wear; be adorned with.
- Phrase. “had as lief”: would prefer; desire in contrast that.
- Phrase. “what had they to do with us”: what do they hold in common with us; how are they related to us; why are they associated with us; why would they be interested in us.
- Phrase. “have no part”: do not share; retain no portion.
have [had, had'st, has, hast, hath, having, hav'nt] v
OE habban; auxiliary or modal.
- [Present perfect.]
- [Have + gerund.]
- [Subjunctive] if.
- [Past perfect.]
- [Subjunctive possessive.]
- [Had + infinitive] be obligated.
- Phrase. “Have to” [periphrastic modal]: must; should; ought to.
- Phrase. “Hav'nt You”: have you not? [negated tag question for affirmative emphasis] surely; certainly you have.