head [-s] n
OE héafod < Germanic.
- Face; [metonymy] deceased person; [fig.] bloom; blossom; seed pod of a flowering plant.
- Chief; principal person; [word play] anatomic head.
- Title; binding of a book.
- Person; individual.
- Uppermost part of the human physique; foremost portion of an animal's body; appendage supported by the neck which contains the organs of sight, smell, taste, and hearing; [fig.] organ of reason; container of the brain; seat of the intellect.
- Disk; globe; [personification] sun.